Sunday, January 31, 2016

The Scoop on Postpartum Pregnancy

You've probably heard of people who get pregnant right after having a baby.  I have.  One of my dearest friends from the past, Tom, has a little girl only a few months older than Koral and his wife is already expecting!  However, there are reasons.

First, Tom's wife is a teacher and went back to work in August.  She's pumping in the day, but not "exclusively nursing."  Basically, your body can tell and if you are nursing every few hours, it probably won't release an egg.  If your baby starts to sleep for 8 solid hours, you might get your period back.  If you work without nursing for 8 hours, you might then, too.  But if you're still "cluster nursing," it's only a 2% chance without protection, so in my current case, unlikely.  If your baby is under 6 months of age, that also helps as you body probably won't release an egg, especially if you're nursing.

I did a lot of research because I had that feeling like, hey, maybe?  I would be pretty thrilled to get pregnant again soon.  Okay, I haven't had an easy time of it, and I was feeling sick for like a year, but I really want Koral and Baby #2 to be able to play together and grow up close.  Also, I really want my body back, and I don't think I can get there only to do all this again.  I just want to lose a little weight, go through the next one, and then when all is said and done and I get all in shape again, if I still have crazy belly skin drooping, maybe I get a tuck done so that doesn't hang around for the rest of my life.  I feel that's reasonable.  Also, if pregnancy was that hard at 28, how great will that feel down the road?  Yikes.  So, those are my thoughts.  If I happen to miraculously defy the odds and conceive whilst nursing, so be it.  I would be quite happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment