Sunday, January 31, 2016

Disposable and Washables (Diapers)

Original Post from 2014

I finally have a system going I like in the diapering area.  Senthil loves it, too.  First, I know disposables are loved by many and washing diapers might sound gross, but especially when they are this this tiny, it's pretty simple.

We used disposable diapers for the first week.  I was shocked at the number we went through.  Part of it was a learning curve, like waiting a second to see if she's going to pee halfway through a change.  But I wasn't very happy about them and the thought of running out was also in my mind.  I had 4 big packs that were almost depleted in 7 days.  That's crazy!  So I was planning to either go out and buy like 20 packs and just keep the receipt, or invest in the infant size of BumGenius diapers so I could always just do a load of laundry.  Yep, glad I did!  They are soooo soft on her and very absorbent.  I wasn't going to do the wipes, too, but the disposable wipes made me feel like I needed to wash my hands after touching them even to wipe her face.  It was not a fresh and clean feeling.  After checking out the ingredients in even the hypoallergenic wipes, I was not happy, so I decided to get washable bamboo wipes, too.  This was rewarding because they are so nice and smell amazing!  I mix up a big bowl of water with a little *Lusa Wipes Juice*

http://www.amazon.com/Lusa-Organics-Baby-Wipe-Juice/dp/B004GMGLN8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406833366&sr=8-1&keywords=baby+wipe+juice

and then just dip the folded wipes in to wet them, squeeze a little, and put them in the Prince Lionheart wipes warmers.  Now the two diaper stations each have them, and extra wipes can be pre-wet, put in the old plastic wipes bins for back-up refills, and we're good to go.  When it's time to wash, I just collect the washable liners from the bins full of diapers and wipes, throw it all in for one cycle with no soap on cold with a presoak, heavy wash, followed by one hot cycle with BumGenius detergent, and they are clean.  I've dried them on a drying rack in the sun for an hour or two, and that works great.  We will never run out (no midnight diaper runs for Senthil) and everything is clean, safe, and comfortable.  I love the scent of the Lusa Juice.  It's amazing!

This is the infant size diaper, although I got a large pack from "the green nursery":

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006ZJQOXM/ref=twister_B000OFNB2K

This is the wipes warmer I got two of and LOVE:

http://www.amazon.com/Prince-Lionheart-Warmies-Wipes-Warmer/dp/B001QIN6ME/ref=sr_1_4?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1406833959&sr=1-4&keywords=prince+lionheart+wipes+warmer

No comments:

Post a Comment