Sunday, January 31, 2016

More little Postpartum Surprises

Hello!  For a moment in time, I am mysteriously FULLY RESTED!  Afternoon nap, Koral is asleep still for a little bit, I was truly deeply asleep and woke up slowly for once.  I thought, hmmm, what is this feeling?  Oh my - fully rested.  Oh no!  Where is Koral?  Oh, thank God, she's just still sleeping.  How odd.

On the sleep front, it has been incredibly sad that she continues to wake several times every night.  On a really good night, it's one or two times to feed and then back to sleep, but on an average night, it's 3-4 times, and more on a bad night.

SO!  BABY CLOTHING SIZES.  My lovely little one is now 4 months and a week old.  So why are all of her clothing size 9 months now??  This is something that does not surprise any other parents and had my mom saying, "Oh, I know, they need to just redo it so they are all accurate one day."  This is apparently an ongoing and persistent problem that started a long time back.  Baby clothing is notoriously mislabeled so your child will pretty much always be growing out of that clothing level long before you think.  This means that my clothing I bought for winter she is just growing OUT of now, as the cold approaches (6-9 months) which is really horrible!  That also means that she will likely be in 1 year old clothes very soon, and that's just crazy.

ON HAIR LOSS:  I didn't know this was a thing, but it seemed like I was using my lint roller way to often!  I was shedding tons in the shower, on the couch, in bed, while brushing hair, etc.  There was one of my hairs in Koral's mouth that Senthil pulled out!  (Yuck.  Poor girl.)  So we looked it up and sure enough, Post-Partum Hair Loss occurs because whilst  pregnant, you stop shedding.  All those little hair follicles that normally shed 100 hairs a day signal a stop to shedding until later then 3 months or so after baby is born, the signal to shed like crazy and catch up is given.  This lasts 3 to 6 months or so - Shedding like a Yeti that is - until you're back to normal.  My goodness!  How weird!

Koral tried baby food recently and hasn't got the whole swallowing down yet, but seemed to have a good reaction to carrots.  I started with baby rice cereal mixed with pumped milk, but she started to evade the spoon and really didn't like it.  Now, if you want to do it "right," you're supposed to begin with the most bitter veggies and work toward sweet ones slowly.  However, I just want her to sleep through the night a bit easier so I am willing to negotiate the food to go with whatever will fill the poor girl up.  Some solid food in her belly is supposed to help keep her sleeping since it is believed she's waking up from hunger.  When I fed her a taste of carrot, there was a smile!  She just needs to figure out the swallowing bit.

OKay, off to feed Koral and get read to go out to Thai for supper!  Oh, yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment