Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Why is it Taboo?



It's shocking how inappropriate I feel when I see a person feeding a baby like a mammal.  I remember as a child I felt awkward even when people referred to the tip of a "baby bottle" as a nipple.  In the end, it seems we're all just acting like Amish people at a pool party.  Why is it taboo to see human milk?  Why does it make me uncomfortable to hear the word "breast"?  I know it's only because I never see it happening and have been conditioned to feel this way.

While boys growing up play-fight with their man-parts and kick each other in the stuff, girls seem to either be ashamed of their chest region or overly sexualize it.  I pretty much ignored the whole thing and had a nice small chest, to my relief.  However, since the sixth month of pregnancy, they just...doubled.  From size A to C in a few weeks.  It's a lot to take in as my identity feels somewhat altered.  However, I'm so glad they have a purpose, and now that I see how clever the whole system is, why is it taboo?  Maybe I ask this because I'm not with a "breast" guy.  I have heard of men out there that just love boobs.  Everyone has a good part.  But then, there are apparently also "leg" men.  Do we feel scandalized toward the bare leg anymore?  Not in most of the United States, thank goodness.  And then there's the butt.  Let's face it.  Thongs are legal.  How?  I don't know.  Seems kind of yucky to me since what can come out of that is a lot less clean than milk you feed a baby, but the breasts and particularly mammalian-style feeding is targeted as really one of the most shunned parts of a human.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  If a fat hairy man with breast tissue larger than my own can legally bare his top-stuff, I should be able to, also.  But now that there's a full use coming up here with the birth of my daughter in a week, I feel even more strongly about this!  Before it was for comfort, hot weather, and social equality.  Now it seems like oppression to not be able to.  I guarantee I will never go to a toilet stall to feed my baby.  Can you think of a more filthy place?!  And some places ask you to use your car.  In hot and cold weather.  Yeah, right.

Have you heard of this problem of "dry and cracked nipples" that is a painful part of feeding?  It turns out that if you just express some milk at the end of feeding and rub it on the nipple (don't use a sanitizing wipe with alcohol, basically) and then let it "air dry" (or don't cover it up in layers of a pad, bra, shirt, etc.) then it won't get dry and cracked.  It's all made to be out in the air and sunshine.  Big Sigh.  The more you learn, the more ridiculous it gets.

Again, as I come across related articles, I'll post the links to my homepage tab "links."  I've been reading several in the past months.  Thanks again for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment