Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Starting Week 39 - Contractions Have Begun

(Originally Published July 2014)


Last night around 11 a lower back ache began that had to be what is called "back labor."  It was not the same as a strain, but the baby leaning on the wrong thing in there.  We heated up the grain bag as a hot pack and waited while contractions kept coming and I felt cramp after cramp, but after two hours I went to sleep and nothing ever happened.  Today I feel fine, lots of "tightenings" but no pain or cramps so I don't think it's really gonna happen anytime soon.  Koral is wiggling more and more with the tightenings like she knows this tummy wants her out and she doesn't appreciate the space shortage, but I still think it will be another week.

Reflection on my current state:

(Men may not what to read this part, but if you do, it may do you some good.  Treat it like how you observed as a cicada crawl out of the ground and shed it's skin, with scientific curiosity.  After all, you don't have this astounding ability, and it may be worth studying.)

Knowing soon I will be left with a bit of a mess as far as my body shape is concerned has led me to take more selfies as proof that I was indeed huge for a reason and later this will perhaps make me feel better.  I have a very healthy outlook on the "after" body and at least know from other people's blogs what is to be expected.  I expect the stretch marks to be what they are, and I expect it to take six to nine months to get fairly back to normal again.

You know those people with the ear lobe spaces that have over time gaged up and up and up and have a large hollow now?  Then they take out the spacer - and it's kind of disgusting unstretched?  Well, that's what I think this will be like.  Not the prettiest picture, but reality.

I don't think the 3-week bounce back flaunted by popular culture is healthy or normal and probably is too much pressure.  I will do my best at my own personal speed and feel good about it.  If anyone, including my dad who sometimes makes comments he shouldn't about weight, tries to alter my perception to feel negative about my adaption, I will not be influenced.  That being said, I feel confident and strong and beautiful and proud to be able to go through this process.  I feel a little old compared to when other members of my family gave birth - but then young when I remember I've just turned 29.  Koral will know me in my 30s and 40s and beyond, but I am young at heart.  

No comments:

Post a Comment