Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Milo, our amazing practice child and doggie boy



Originally Published July 2014

Where would we be without Milo?  Milo is our two year old beagle mix.  He's been Senthil's first pet and our first "child" through the last year and a half.  He has all the privileges of a child, or more, since we don't have to worry about his growing-up future.  He loves car rides, Starbucks drive-throughs (whipped cream doggie cup), the occasional ice cream, wrestling with Senthil, dog parks, walks, doggie toothpaste, being brushed, and sleeping in our bed on occasion - in the middle.  He hates baths and being left alone.  The amazing thing about Milo, other than just being the most human-like and well-behaved dog I've ever had, is how Senthil has formed this intense bond with him.  They are just perfect together, Senthil has a whole language with this dog mainly made of nonsense phrases that he baby-talks to the dog when they're alone.  Milo is so completely relaxed with Senthil.  I trained Milo so I'm generally the one he listens to and am the "bad guy" if he gets in trouble.  Senthil tried to yell at Milo once when he blatently didn't listen and ran in the road.  Milo thought Senthil scolding him was funny.  When I use the stern voice he tucks his ears down and licks his lips and acts like he's doomed.  I personally have learned from Milo that sometimes when I'm terribly mad (back to the potty training months) I just have to let it go.  Getting really upset at a little dog or little kid can just be stupid and overly scary for them.  I also know from working at the preschool that I am not great at working with young kids full time.  I much prefer my time at work collaborating with adults in a peaceful environment.  These were all great things to learn before Koral is born.  I will love to be with Koral, but I still want to work and go to that not-home environment of civilized, motivated team members which are adults.  

No comments:

Post a Comment