Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Gender: What changed when we found out?

 (Originally Published July 2014)

This is a very interesting topic in the world today.  What really changed?


We could pick a name.
I read a lot of girl empowerment articles.
People gave us a lot of pink and purple colored baby things like crib sheets and blankets and clothes.
We were given a lot of dresses.
I bought a baby book called "Girls of the World" showing pictures of baby girls from all over.
Senthil got nervous about the teen years he does not feel prepared for.

Here's what didn't change:

I made a deliberate attempt to stay mostly neutral in decorating if I bought something.  I would have bought almost everything I got for a boy, also.  When I thought we were having a boy early on, I planned to also use some pink and purple as well and not just what has become "Boy Aisle" colors.

Senthil wants to teach our child coding and sports and I want to take our child camping and show her how to build things and to make paintings with her and print her little hands and feet on paper every so often to track her growth.  She may say no and not like any of these things, but currently we have these dreams.

Everything else.  Everything else didn't change.  It's been thought-provoking as I read about how girls are changed by society incremental in so many ways.  How boys who talk more in schools are seen as leaders while girls who talk more are seen as bossy - and an endless other list.  I'm going set up a side tab with links to other articles about this that I find interesting or relevant on the home page, rather than repeating everything I read.  I will stay informed and I hope you find this useful.

Also, one of my favorite sites is A Mighty Girl, so I'm putting that on there, too.

Thought-Provoking Articles about Gender:
http://www.rolereboot.org/culture-and-politics/details/2014-05-10-simple-words-every-girl-learn/



Great Sites for Parents of Girls:
http://www.amightygirl.com
http://www.goldieblox.com

No comments:

Post a Comment